01 January 2011

2011: So far, so good....

Happy New Year folks!

Being in one of the first countries to celebrate this joyous occassion, I'd like to welcome you all to 2011! Yes, I woke up this morning and found myself in New Zealand. Ok, no complaints there. Actually, I can't think of a better way to start things off. A new year full of promise and potential, and it just so happens that this January 1st is also my first full day in the country. I finally arrived here yesterday after roughly 44 hours of straight travel, initiating in Boston at 4am the morning of December 29th. It was long, at times brutal, but now that I'm finally here it goes without saying that it was also entirely worthwhile.
 
That being said, I did meet some incredible people along the way who definitely helped to soften the blow of the whole tedious process. I met a fellow CSU Aggie at the airport who was on his way here for the first time. We talked fishing and made tentative plans to meet up and hit the river together. I met a generous Kiwi on the plane who gave me his dad's contact information in Christchurch so he could take us out fishing and show us around. I met an amazing woman in LA who helped to kill a good portion of my 12 hour layover and more than a few drinks at the bar. She pitched the idea of starting a fishing show together and said she might have some connections to get the ball rolling, but more on that later. Regardless of what becomes of that, thanks Jennifer! I look forward to our next rendezvous...

Upon my arrival, Isaiah and Justin picked me up at the airport in the Grey Ghost. It's an '86 Toyota Townace, 4wd. Funny, cuz last year Jesse and I drove an '86 Toyota Townace, affectionately dubbed the Silver Fox. The similarities are frightening, especially considering Isaiah never even saw our old rig. Our first stop was the Hotel Vandertie, our wonderful and gracious hosts from last year. What a relief it was to have landed, be able to drop my bags for good, grab a shower, and actually relax. I cannot say enough, I love these people. They've fully embrace the Kiwi trademark attitude of generosity and hospitality, and then taken it to the next level. After freshening up, the Vanderties took us over to a friend's bbq for the evening. We cooked food, played games, and counted down the final seconds of 2010. And here we are now.

Justin is in the unfortunate position of having to return to the States in only one week's time, so we're gonna get after it and hit the road immediately in search of eager fish, with hopes of tying him into a few more dandies before he departs. Our general direction, south to Otago, details to be threshed out later. We'll catch up more then...

No comments:

Post a Comment